Surroundings Naples,a project for those who love this region
Visit Campania region in Italy: a travel advice website.
A journey with many photos of castles, royal residences, archaeological sites and much more. Short tales of history about these lands.
Each place tells its own past and that of peoples who, for thousands of years, have conquered and reigned the Campania region in Italy.What you can visit in this region, apart from the city of Naples, are:
- the wonderful Phlegraean Fields (with many archaeological sites to visit),
- the Royal Palace of Caserta,
- the volcano mount Vesuvius,
- the excavations of Pompeii and Herculaneum,
- Sorrento with the Amalfi coast and so much more.
My name is Antonio Barattiero and I love my land so much that I decided to create AroundNaples website because I'd like Campania region, especially the surroundings of Naples, will be able to become more and more popular all over the world.
I will never get tired of showing this wonderful lands to my friends and parents. Every time I retrace a fantastic tour into the art, myth, history and culture. Every time I feel exactly the same emotions about the first time.
It's impossible to describe the love I feel for these fantastic places. My goal is to make the visitors feel the same emotions.
There is so much work in this project and you will not find all that there is to visit in this region, surely. But bit by bit, every time I revisit a place, I will take new photos and create new pages of the site, in order to continue sharing with you the beauty of these lands.
Surrounding Naples in Italy.
Many tips to have an unforgettable journey around Naples, one of the richest regions in history with many photos and videos.
The city of Naples, history and legends.
The history of urban flair of Naples, also called city of Parthenope, has begun more than 3000 years ago: in the 900 A.D. Then there were the invasions of the foreign peoples. They invaded, reigned and ruled these lands.
During all this time the whole Campania region has been conquered many times by many foreign peoples, who have reigned over these lands for centuries.
Surroundings of Naples: Caserta and nearby areas.
- The royal palace of Caserta with his huge royal gardens: the Bourbon residence.
- The Campania Amphitheatre (the arena of the Spartacus gladiator). It's the second largest in Italy after the Coliseum in Rome. It's locate in Capua, a city at 35Km (about 21 miles) north from Naples .
- The Museum Campano in Capua where all archaeological remains found in these areas are exhibited.
- The mithraeum in Santa Maria Capua Vetere... and much more...
Other Places to visit in Campania region in Italy.
The wonderful Phlegraean fields
- Archaeological excavations of Cumae, the remains of the first Greek colony of the eighth century. B.C.
The Flavian Amphitheater in Pozzuoli, the third largest in Italy. Built because the smaller one (located at 100 meters away) was no longer sufficient to accommodate so many guests.
- The archaeological museum of the Phlegraean Fields inside the aragonese Castle of Baia, where all archaeological remains found in these areas are exhibited.
- The archaeological excavation of the thermal baths of Baia, holiday destination of many aristocrats of the Roman Empire.
- ... and much more...
Surrounding Naples: the islands of Campania.
In the enchanting gulf of Naples there are 3 wonderful places that you cannot miss:
- Capri, the island known all over the world
- Procida (small and very nice)
- Ischia with its aragonese castle, built in 474 BC by the tyrant of Syracuse Girone I, who had the whole island as a prize for helping the Cumans to repel the Etruscan invaders.
During the roman empire era this whole region was very popular holiday destination for the nobility and the gentry of that time.
Surroundings Naples: Pompeii and Herculaneum.
A brief history of the Vesuvius volcano, which in 79 AD destroyed Pompeii, Herculaneum, Stabia and Oplontis. In this area it is possible to visit:
- The archaeological excavations of Pompeii
- The archaeological site of Herculaneum
- The archaeological excavations of Oplontis in Torre annunziata
- The excavations Stabia, in the city of Castellammare di Stabia.
Places to visit in Campania region in Italy in a virtual journey.
I will try to accompany you by holding your hands making real an unforget journey through photos and videos.
We would imagine how men lived in the ancient world, discovering the charm of the archaeological sites, the ruins of natural spa, the ancient castles Naples underground, churches and museum, where we can admire the exposition archaeological finds brought to light in the archaeologicalsites of Pompeii, Herculaneum, Cumas, Baia etc. which witness the passage of ancient peoples that has now disappeared.
We will discover together these wonderful and breathtaking view of the surrounding landscape and sea.
I will tell you what you can taste local sweet and salt delicacies: the pastiera napoletana, the babà, the sfogliatella riccia, the sfogliatella frolla, the casatiello of Napoli, the tortano di Caserta, the tarallo napoletano and much...much more.
Surranding Naples with its guides to print.
In the download section you can find some PDF files. They are guides and travel tips. You can print them or you can download the digital version with hyperlinks to photos, videos and virtual tours.